Multiple Works in Progress Revisited: Myths about my Writing Methodology

I'm pretty transparent about my ADHD and how it leads to multiple WIPs (works in progress). I discussed my process in past blogs Multiple Works in Progress: How? and then discussed how the stress of the pandemic made my ADHD out of control leading to The Year of 9 WIPs. And in 2021, it went to WIP 12! Only for a Moment. I'm back to 11 WIPs.

I'm proud of my ability to write fast and to juggle multiple texts. Often, though, the writing community of Twitter attacks people like me, not realizing this ability is part of a disability. I'm astounded they feel like they can attack someone who does something well, knowing--because they were told--the person's disability negatively affects other parts of their life. Pretty much, I was being bullied--by adults. So the only way I know to dispel bullies is to ignore them or educate them. So, I'm going to dispel the myths about my writing methodology.

Myth 1: ADHD means you can never pay attention.

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, because the name, sounds like we can never pay attention. It is true we have trouble paying attention, but rarely for preferred activities. During a preferred activity, some people with ADHD enter hyperfocus, meaning we can intensely focus on what we are doing for hours. The H of the acronym can be overlooked too since it is a blanket diagnosis to refer to an array of types of ADHD. Technically, there is ADD, ADHD, and combined types. I have the H. Oh, I have the H hardcore. As a 40 yr-old woman, I still cannot sit still. I fidget, nonstop. I cannot pay attention well without moving. I am standing and swaying as I write this. However, it makes me fast at most things--as a youth, running; as an adult, it is writing. This takes us to myth 2.

Myth 2: Fast writing means bad writing.

I've literally been told by people my writing must suck because I manage to write fast. Other authors I know who are genuinely prolific have been attacked too. I'm not sure why people believe this, but perhaps it is a lack of understanding when it takes them longer. Or perhaps they think being prolific is us thinking we are better and they want to knock us down a peg. We don't think we are better at all. I never care nor can tell how fast a novel I read was written. To judge a novel that way is a prejudice against someone's methodology, which at times feels like a very personal attack on my atypical brain. See, my thought process is extremely fast. When I talk, some cannot keep up, but slowing down means I lose track of where I am. It is the same with writing in how my mind crafts the story and how fast I can type in hyper mode. I've done word count checks to see how fast I can write and it averaged 5000+ words over a 4 hour period. That sounds insane to some but that is only 20 words per minute. Some days I can reach 8000-10000, but I never tracked how long it takes due to many breaks. This is possible because of hyperfocus--nothing distracts me when writing--fast typing, fast thinking, and not editing as I go. Not editing, aka typos abundant, is not terrible writing; that is what editing is for.

Myth 3: Pantsers, those who don't plan, have terrible plots.

This one drives me up the wall. I used to plot but after years of ditching the plan to freewrite, I found much better, less contrived paths. Not saying plotters write contrived plots; it is a personal issue for me, not because I can't plot, but because it forces me to be formulaic, and overly controlled. When I make myself stick to the outline, it is forced and the readers probably can tell. I have an on and off switch, nothing in between. My method is more organic, out of order, and wherever my imagination takes me. I've been told constantly it is not possible to write this way effectively, and yet I do, and I do it well (I check during revision). The only reason I believe I can do it is from experience. I have years of it under my belt: 35-ish years of nonstop reading and writing, add in studying writing and getting degrees in it; and teaching it which constantly makes me review. Basically, my brain is more like a database of writing knowledge, so I imagine it as a computer program that has the software to plot without actively thinking about it. I write, and it gels together into something discernible. I get the myth because some new writers probably should attempt plotting until the building blocks are there, but once they are, we should not judge anyone's methodology. I never can tell a plotter book from a pantser book. If you think you can, you might be biased.

Myth 4: It's impossible to work on multiple WIPs and keep them clearly separated

Another thing that irks me and feels like an attack on my neurodiverse brain when people profess I'm doing the impossible. So here are the facts. My brain works like a computer when I write. I has files or folders I can tap into for a certain WIP. I can close it, forget it exists after I open another. I tend to get tired of simply drafting, revising, or editing. I like to change it up within a week of rotating all 3 of these skills. One WIP I might draft, another revise, and a third edit. On top of that, an idea might strike me about a fourth, the publisher might send me edits for a fifth and copyedits for a sixth, and I might get a fresh new scene in my head that I must get down for a seventh. I could go on, but you get the picture. I usually have no issues keeping track of my plot or characters. Now and then, I could have a typo of a character's name or shift into first-person when I should be in third (after working on a first-person WIP prior) but these are minuscule things I catch in revisions. All I can say to naysayers is I can do this and sorry if that bothers you for some reason.


So yes, explaining how my brain works feels like bragging about my differences, and they might make ADHD seem like a gift. For writing, for me personally, it is like a superpower. For life, it is kryptonite. There are simple tasks that a neurotypical person probably can easily do that I cannot. Low auditory processing means I cannot listen to audiobooks or podcasts and pay attention. I have trouble listening in meetings, cannot sit still, and fidget. Telephone calls cause anxiety because I won't focus on the speaker or take it in unless I constantly pace to focus. I cannot go on long drives and focus on the road, so no road trips over three hours with me as the driver. I manage to be a good lecturer but students do complain I talk to fast; my brain cannot slow down (as previously mentioned). This causes more online work for me so the students have a visual guide to what I'm saying--almost for every class. Outside of the classroom, I impulsively speak my thoughts and have often regretted it or lost friends over it. I cannot keep up with bills or get anxious paying them too early and leaving myself short on grocery money (having a spouse who does it for us helps so much). I cannot be idle for a moment, so cannot sit still even to watch TV. 

As you can see, it is a curse and a gift. So please, when we think of others, can't we just applaud their talents? Can we use an ounce of empathy to not think of ourselves in comparison, but think of them as unique individuals. Because what we often overlook is every gift is likely the silver lining of a life that has troubles, disabilities, or conditions. Everyone bears a blessing and curse. 

So, can we stop judging fast, non planning, multiple WIP, or anyone different than yourself in any way? We all are unique individuals, so why wouldn't our writing methodology be exactly the same?