Tales in Publishing: Oops, I'm an Editor Now

I have not blogged in a while. I worry blogging is becoming a thing of the past.

Still, I'm trying to hang on, at least if only to get my thoughts down once a month. A few times a year, I'll have news. Like this month.

No, no new books out. Stay tuned for that in upcoming blogs.

The news is that I'm now an editor, in an unofficial and official capacity. It was one of those "oops" moments that ended up becoming something much more valuable. 

I met a successful local author last year. One of the things he is great at is forging connections in the community through helping each other. It just so happened that he needed my help. He found himself in a bind. He had a release date already lined up, his publisher breathing down his neck, and unfortunately, an editor who was taking her good ole time with his manuscript--she hadn't started it a month before the release. Desperate, he asked if I could edit it. Unable to say no, I took it on during a busy time--while grading eighty research papers and editing my manuscript with my publisher. I only had a month to do all that in.

I found the experience to be amazing, easy, like breathing. Beyond that, like Cinderella sliding on that glass slipper, I had found my calling. I am a natural. I excel at it. I love it. 

Some background. I earned three degrees: BA English, BA dramatic arts, and MA English. I've taught college writing for over thirteen years now. I am getting my eighth book published this June. I know part of the publishing industry, and I know grammar like the back of my hand. Most importantly, I had always wanted to be an editor.

Why hadn't I gone into the publishing industry in my youth? Well, back when I graduated college in 2003, the world was still very much all about location. I was not the type to risk poverty as an intern in NYC sharing a studio apartment with other poor interns, gathering coins out of the couch cushions for my next meal. 

Now? The world is online--remote jobs everywhere, meetings online as if they are in person, and the pandemic normalized that even more. 

So now is time to be an editor because I love it. That is not to say I'm quitting the day job. I love my students and teaching--plus, the amazing medical insurance and steady income is nothing to complain about. However, the aforementioned author is my first client. I will remain his editor in the future with a least two titles to edit a year. 

Immediately, after I posted  an example of a book I had edited for him, I got three inquiries to edit within a week. Only 1 panned out because some people expect things for free or do not realize how much time goes into editing and the value of that time when it comes to paying for it. So now I have two clients, and also a small publishing company that I plan to edit for, with talk of a possible second local small press that might open and want my services.

I must keep it limited, though, because the family comes first and the day job comes second. What a fun ride it has been. I can't imagine something better than reading a good book and helping the author figure out ways to make it even better. 

I'm one of those people who rolls with what life hands me. As of late, it is handing me many opportunities to edit to supplement my income from it. Times are hard and I could sure use the money. I'm going to ride this train and see were it takes me. 

So, in short, oops, I'm an editor now. 

Need an editor? Check out my rates and email to get scheduled. Only taking on a couple more clients.