Writing Tips: Vendor Events

Vendor events. When I was published, I was told it was a key component in an author's brand. I didn't know where to start. So I researched, then I started making a list of events that sounded good, but the budget was a bit of a problem. Plus, finding events and booking so far in advance was hard for me. Then, the pandemic hit.

Now, with things open and my area having many outdoor events (not new--always had been mostly outdoor), I decided to check things out again. Since that first publication, I became part of a writing group and a few of us banded together for events, spreading out the cost, while having great company and help.

I'm by no means an expert but have about 6 events under my belt with more coming this week.

Macaroni Mania event to raise money for local Humane Society

Here are some tips:

1. Check them out online, make a list

2. Visit some

3. Have to book popular ones months or sometimes a year in advance

4. Find fellow author/artists: share costs and tables; perk is not setting up and breaking down by yourself

5. Event didn't work out, cross off the list (if you don't break even and get some profit)

6. Start small: according to budget (buying books included), and time wise (time is limiting me a lot)

7. Use proceeds to buy more books and pay for future events

8. Set small goals, then increase: breaking even, making enough profit to pay for the next one, making enough to fully fund the book ordering and future events, making real profit, being locally famous

9. Decide when it is time to go at it alone (or if you prefer to limit yourself with table space and save money)

10. Check out state sales tax laws and collection rules, as well as license laws for vendors

11. What you need: bookmarks, books, something to display them on, mailing list signup, a card swiping device and app (like Square), cash-bank to make change; usually a tent, weights, tables, table covers

12. Embellishments: business cards, creative thematic display, swag (other thematic tie-in items for sale). 

This is not an end-all advice list but at least a start. Why not try a local vendor event? Might work out. The fun part is getting to meet people, spread the word, and talk about your writing.