Writing Tips: Book Pitch Practice

For those who don't know my story, my first two novels were picked up by small presses on Twitter pitch days: Pitch2Pub and PitMad. Never having written a pitch before, on a whim, I made my first successful attempt. I was no novice to query letters so adapted the hook in my queries. The world of Twitter and its only 280 characters helped me become succinct and direct. I was able to throw in the necessary information and make it sound nice in that short span, including hashtags. Before I give you a new example, here are my old ones that worked: Apidae, Fyr. I also continued writing them for fun, meaning using them for marketing purposes: Quiver and Draca. Below is my tentative social media pitch for my upcoming novel out right before Valentine's Day: Fever.

To say it was a bad "breakup" would be an understatement. Callie is told Archer is dead, and Archer can never see her again. Will their feverish love set events in motion that will forever upend the immortal world? Or will Love find a way? #mythological #romance #book 2

The breakdown: Please note that this is book two of The Immortal Transcripts series which gives the storyline a continued feel. The first statement is to hook the reader in while recapping the end of the last book. Using quotes around "breakup" shows you it was not a normal situation or by choice when you see the next part of the pitch. Here, I show characters' current conflicts they must overcome. Their "feverish love" shows romance and an intensity between them despite being apart. The questions show what is at stake, meaning how it could turn out one way or another.

Of course, for the back cover blurb, my publisher helped me make the pitch much better, but giving you a raw example without the assistance above, a rough draft.

If interested in the series, check out book 1 Quiver. Book 2 Fever is up for preorder. 

Follow me on Facebook to see my book launch of this novel on Feb. 12th where you can snag a free ebook of book 1 just by attending.