Author Feature: Faith Consiglio, Fantasy Author

The Author: Faith Consiglio

Faith grew up in Rockland County, NY, and finished college and medical school in Stony Brook. She currently works as a psychiatrist with a passion for studying and creating characters. 

Debut Novel: Where Ashes Reign

War-torn and drought-ridden, the three kingdoms of the river valley have another threat to face—dark spirits, feeding off hatred, possess men and beasts to slaughter and devour.

Emory, the only heir to her kingdom's throne, is one of the last who believes in the eternal realm, but her faith is fading until an unexpected guest arrives, claiming to be from there. Blaming the kingdoms' plight on a curse, he needs Emory to help defeat the one who cast it. Eager to escape the palace, she ventures into a rival kingdom, where her identity could mean death and one misstep could spark war. The fate of the kingdoms now depends on her, and as an unexpected love blossoms, she faces the most dangerous threat of all. Has Emory just walked into a trap that could cost her life? Can she defeat the cursecaster on her own, or will the land be ravaged by war and dark spirits forever?


Other work: Pygmalion (this is a short story formerly published in The Mad Scientist Journal)


The Interview:

I have to go for the classic, vital question: what inspired you to write this story?

In 2012, during a peak of violence in the middle east, I watched friends bitterly divide based on allegiance to different sides of the conflict. As someone without personal ties to the region, I was shaken by how deeply rooted hatred ran, and that even in an academic setting, my smart, polite peers turned on each other with little chance for constructive conversation. Friends became enemies based on their positions, histories, and beliefs. It drove me to consider what forces, if any, can overcome such hostility, and if it’s possible to achieve peace. These are the themes that motivated my creation of a fantastical world, which I felt could expand on these ideas in an objective way. 


Commendable reason, and I can see the psychiatry vibe underlying that. Knowing why, I'm now curious about how it was written. Are you a plotter or a pantser? 

I’m more of a plotter, with some room for pantsing. I need to have a clear idea of the story's arcs and ending before I decide it’s worth my efforts to write. That can mean keeping my idea in the brainstorm or research phase for a year. When I’m sold on it, I like to write the major plot points on index cards and then arrange them across the table, sometimes leaving them there for weeks to review and rearrange. I leave some room in between plot points and start writing some of the scenes, not necessarily in sequential order, and in the process discover new directions and ways to fill in the spaces between cards. But despite some flexibility, the beginning, ending, and major structure remain mostly the same throughout the process. 


Oh, I'm envious of your organization! I'm not so much. Maybe I'll relearn plotting one day. Speaking of learning, what has your publishing experience taught you?

I’ve learned that publishing is incredibly subjective. Someone might reject your work for the same reason someone else absolutely loves it. I’ve also learned the value of building a critique circle or network of writing friends for support. Publishing can be a very long, slow process, filled with rejection, so cultivating these relationships, as well as your endurance, dedication, and perseverance is necessary for success. 

So True!

Where to find Consiglio:

Website

Instagram

Facebook