YA Dystopian Sci-fi Book Review: The Remnant

The Remnant is a solid continuation of The Rare, ending in a satisfying cliffhanger that leaves you reeling and impatiently awaiting the next book.

The Blurb: SPOILER ALERT! See review for the first book before you read on.

"Now that Olivia and David have discovered that their life in the city was a lie, their pursuit of the truth gives them a newfound purpose. Is there more to their Rare abilities than what they’ve discovered so far? Is there something about them that the government is trying to keep hidden?

Taken captive and tortured by her oppressors, Olivia narrowly escapes with help from an unexpected source. She rejoins what’s left of her new friends, only to find their home destroyed and coalition forces closing in to finish them off.

Running for their lives, they set out on a desperate quest to find the Haven, a mysterious city that is rumored to be harboring and protecting Rares. This journey will take them deep into the wilderness and bring them to the edges of another coalition stronghold before they find their way.

But the danger in front of them is rivaled only by the danger closing in behind them, and Olivia’s new abilities will be put to the test. As they discover more secrets, the ones they bring with them may be the most important of all."


The book is an intriguing journey that explores relationships, develops characters fully, and brings back a couple surprise characters from book one who enhance the plot and give the book depth.

To be honest, a couple of tiny things irked me. I found it odd Matthias, who easily murders to stay alive, chastises someone else for dealing weed to do the same. I do appreciate Olivia's observation of both being wrong and her qualms with what it takes to survive, but it seems odd to pit dealing marijuana as an equal crime to repeated cold-blooded murder. I also still have trouble aligning myself and understanding Olivia’s blind gullibility, even though I do love the youthful naivety in YA books. Perhaps I was born a cynic who overanalyzes people's motivations, and Olivia is the opposite. Adults, like myself, must realize the book is not intended for us, but teens who likely are more trusting. With that in mind, I did take a break from Olivia’s voice and read another book.

Why I came back? The fact that so many characters grow in personality and powers. I wanted back to them. The knowledge of mental struggles among teens is spot on and well displayed. Many can relate to the younger characters. The relationships bloom as Olivia becomes an integral part of her new community. David and Olivia's friendship takes a couple turns, very reminiscent of the torn decision between what could go wrong and what could be. The characters are well developed and you learn so much more about them. I enjoyed this depth as much as the plot. 

The plot is like a roller coaster. There are action-packed page-turning moments, and time to catch your breath as Oliva and the characters go through a lot of development and discoveries. In short, the pacing is palatable and keeps you reading. And although I could say many great things about the strength of the plot, I cannot without spoilers. All I'll say was I loved the cliffhanger ending. It was a big wow moment and a big cheer in the last lines. I was very happy—except that I will have to wait for more. Regardless of my little issues, I need to see the story through, so Anthony has done a superb job of making the reader want more.

After getting over the fact I'm an old cynic, I thoroughly enjoyed it. In all, I suggest if you are a fan of The Rare, this sequel will not disappoint. Lots of action, character building, and an ending that will blow your mind away.