Book Review Paranormal Thriller: Murderous Envy

The paranormal thriller, Murderous Envy (The Veils of Parallel Times Book 1), by CJ Carson, is a page-turning thriller that takes you on an unpredictable roller coaster ride that you are not allowed to get off.

According to the back cover, "Allie Callahan had her whole life mapped out – run her family’s marketing firm, make her first million, and get that next big contract. Destiny had another plan. After a catastrophic event forces her to rethink her life’s path, Allie discovers that the heritage she’s tried so hard to deny is about to lead her in an entirely new direction.Unable to ignore her grandfather’s Native American heritage, Allie embarks on a journey that will test her fortitude, strength, and courage, but it will also bring her the one thing she never thought possible – love."



Now, I normally do not read many thrillers. I guess things too easily, predict the plot, and find some authors adopt a simplistic writing style with stereotypical characters--basically the pitfalls of any genre. I gave Carson's novel a chance because I love paranormal elements in fiction, and I needed a change (away from my beloved romance). Well, let's just say Carson wowed me with their ability to escape the genre pitfalls and present me with something unique and entertaining. 

First, aside from the normal element of the bad guy being after the innocent woman, the plot is completely unpredictable. Every time my mind jumped ahead surmising, I was thrown in another direction, making the reader feel exactly like Allie. It did not follow a formula but the stalker's plans. I found I liked this, and the abrupt cliffhanging and unexpected ending that sets up the next book. I know some readers do not like cliffhangers, but had the next book been out, I would've grabbed it. It is an effective marketing move for authors that readers have a polar reaction to. In this thriller, though, it is quite fitting. Things are left unanswered and readers have no clue where this ride is going.

As for the writing style, it is not as simplistic as a lot of this genre tends to be. There is detail, descriptions, and a lot going on that it is nicely fleshed out but not pedantic or flowery in prose. I found it page-turning but was unable to skim. The one hitch for me was what I call "real-life" narration. Some debut novels explain things how they would happen in reality, which seems like how it should be; however, when Allie has to relate events to the police, then to her mom, then to her friend--like you would in real life--it can get a tad repetitive. Seasoned authors focus on what the reader needs to hear (at least in edits), not what is accurate in real life. However, this  did lessen as the novel progressed. It did not deter from the enjoyment of the book and is likely not noticeable to a less critical reader (than my overly critical self) looking for a thrill.

The characterization was well-developed, so much so I found myself in love with Allie and Claudia's friendly banter and relationship. Allie's character arc is strong and believable from all she goes through. The male characters added a range of aspects from adding a little romance to fatherly figures and protectors. The stalker is terrifying, although you hardly know much detail about him as a person. It adds an air of mystery around him. These relationships between characters walk you through quite a few sub-sub genres, giving the novel a unique feel.

Overall, I like where Carson is headed and must finish the series as it comes out to see how author and character both develop. I loved Murderous Envy and now eagerly anticipating the next novel up for preorder, Murderous Interruptions out any day now.