NaNoWriMo 2019: Results


NaNoWriMo 2019: 

Results



So NaNoWriMo2019 came to a close. If you are unsure what I'm talking about see here for an explanation and here for my last check in. In short, it is a writing self-challenge for authors.The month is over and the totals are in. I managed just over 50,000 words, despite housework, child-rearing, and lots of grading--including the last week of the month being dedicated completely to grading research papers. Therefore, instead of a month, I only had three weeks. Not bad, huh?

I had started with a beginning and an end due to my weird writing order and organization of 18k. What I wrote during NaNo was the middle and more onto the end, skipping around to what scenes or concepts came to me, skipping around when I felt stuck. What I have left to do to complete a full rough draft is one chapter of a war that needed some research and to flesh out certain chapters that were mostly dialogue and action to propel the plot forward. This is usually how I write: get the story down, add more description and fix inconsistencies during draft two. So while my story is now 100 words shy of 70,000 words, it probably will end up with a final word counter of 80-90k.


Is NaNo for you? Not necessarily. I saw a lot of authors who were depressed and self-loathing because they couldn't do it. It is not meant to shame you for not writing fast. Perhaps you work better at a slower pace and can write a better book than someone like me who can pound it out quickly. "Fast" doesn't always equate with "good" when it comes to writing. I believe NaNo is more for pansters (who do not need a plan at all) or plotters who have thoroughly prepped all October to the point they can write freely. As a pantser who has been writing every day almost my entire life before bed as a way to unwind, NaNo is made for me. If you don't have a set routine like mine, NaNo can help establish it.

If NaNo is not for you, there is a summer camp one where you set your own writing goals--not necessarily word count, but could be outlining, editing, a number of chapters, etc. I have the summers off work, so this one is better for me and might be for you. Check it out here.