Tales in Publishing: Editing Part 2


Tales in Publishing: 
Editing Part 2


As this is a consecutive journal about my experiences getting published, you may want to start from the beginning (Acceptance, Contract, Cover, Editing 1) and stay tuned.

After the preliminary oh-my-God-I-suck mentality was digested, I systematically went through the editor's notes and fixed all my smack-myself-in-the-face mistakes. I couldn't believe--even though I had been rushed to get my entry in and didn't revise or proofread much--that I had made so many errors and then overlooked them.

The editor simply asked for me to make her suggested changes and resubmit. But, feeling almost embarrassed with myself, I went through it all again looking for any places I could improve my writing. I went crazy changing lots of things. I almost thought she would object to so many changes. However, she countered back with another edit and this time not much was there and she seemed impressed and talked more as if we were a team rather than her correcting me. These suggestions were not errors but more along the lines of stylistic changes and ways to enhance my writing more. That being said, I had hopes we'd be finished after round 2.

And my hopes were not in vain. All my hard work by collaborating with, instead of relying on, the editor prevented any further drafts. The last process, I  believe, is one last proofreader with catch any potential issues we could've missed. Since I didn't hear back, we should've caught them all.

Overall, I found this experience a pleasant and constructive one. Although difficult at times, it really is a growing experience. Here are some tips for aspiring authors and myself.
  1. Leave your ego and thin skin at the door.
  2. Digest comments, edit later.
  3. Go above and beyond what they ask, as it could limit how many editing drafts you both must go through.
  4. Along with going beyond, if they make one note check that same aspect throughout the entire manuscript. Chances are if you did it once, it shows up again somewhere.
  5. Ask questions.
  6. Never assume you know more than them.
  7. Never assume they are infallible either.
  8. Establish a positive relationship as a team.
  9. Take stock of your weaknesses for future writing.
  10. Don't beat yourself up too much! It was good enough to get published after all.